Allan Donald, left, works with Steve Harmison during his brief spell as England bowling coach. 

Photograph: Nigel Roddis/Reuters


Allan Donald has declared his interest in becoming England's next fast
bowling coach. The former South Africa international has been widely
tipped to fill the post vacated by Ottis Gibson..., who was appointed West
Indies head coach yesterday. Donald had a brief spell in the role
three years ago but while he felt unable to commit long term for
personal reasons back then, he now claims to be ready.

"In 2007 I really enjoyed the four months I spent with the England cricket team, I learnt a lot," said the 43-year-old. "It is an environment I really enjoyed being in, working with elite cricketers."I'd
be silly to not consider the position. I will obviously think it over
but it is a great challenge for any coach. If I did make contact with
the ECB at some stage I'm sure that I would be throwing my name in the
hat, absolutely."In 2007 my little boy went through a very tough
time and I had to abort that.

It would have been very foolish of me to
go touring around the world when he was struggling at school and having
health problems. At the moment everything is fine and I think I am just
about ready to get back into it full time."Another previous
incumbent, Kevin Shine, who still works at the ECB at developmental
level, has also been linked with a return to the post.Former
England seamers Darren Gough, Phil DeFreitas and Steve Watkin have been
mentioned too, along with ex-South Africa captain Shaun Pollock and the
highly-regarded one-time Essex player Ian Pont.Donald feels
whoever gets the job will get the chance to work with some fine
players. "You can see Ottis has been working very hard.

He has got a
lot of discipline and toughness amongst these guys," he added. "[James]
Anderson has become a quality bowler, so has [Stuart] Broad."But
not only the bowling unit, the team itself is becoming a solid one. I
think there is no doubt they are destined for some big stuff to come."

0 comments

Post a Comment

"CRICKET FUN.." on Facebook

Free Web Site Hit Counter
Travel Package